What is the “Good News”
The Bad News
In order to have a proper understanding of the Good News, we have to begin with the “bad news”.
The best way to explain this is by taking the “Good Person Test”.
So, please be honest as you answer the following questions:
Do you consider yourself to be a “Good Person”?
Most people would say, “Sure, I am a very good person!”
Although, many people are unaware of what the word “good” actually means. One definition of “good” is: that which is morally right; righteousness.
So let me ask you the question in a slightly different way.
Do you consider yourself to be a “Morally Righteous Person”?
Here’s a quick test using only 4 of the 10 commandments (a portion of God’s standard for determining who is “Good” or “Morally Righteous”) to help answer these questions:
- Have you ever cursed or used God’s name in vain?
- Have you ever told a lie?
- Have you ever lusted or looked with lust?
- Have you ever stolen something? (Value doesn’t matter. Stealing is stealing)
How did you do?
Here’s where the bad news begins…
If you have committed even one of these sins then the Bible says you are guilty of breaking God’s law. The Bible says that, “the person who keeps all of the laws except one is as guilty as a person who has broken all of God’s laws.” (James 2:10 NLT)
What does the Bible say will happen to those who are guilty of sinning and breaking His law? It says that if they die in their sin they will be found guilty on the Day of Judgment and sentenced to eternity in Hell. (Acts 17:31, Hebrews 9:27)
This is obviously an extremely serious thing! This involves your very soul.
What if you were offered One Million Dollars for both of your eyes? Most people wouldn’t take it because their eyes are precious. And if you wouldn’t sell your eyes for one million dollars, then how much more is your soul worth?
Remember, death can come at any moment. The Bible says that our life is like a mist or the morning fog. We are here for a little while and then we are gone. (James 4:14)
About 150,000 people die each day.
The GOOD NEWS
However, there’s GOOD NEWS! Picture yourself in a courtroom guilty of many serious crimes. The Judge sentences you to life in prison or a million dollar fine.
As the guard leads you away, someone you don’t even know comes in and pays your fine in full. That means you are free to go!
How would you feel about that person?
That’s what Jesus did 2,000 years ago. He took our punishment upon Himself and then rose from the grave, defeating death.
The Bible says that God showed His ultimate love and mercy while we were sinners by sending His Son Jesus Christ, who lived a sinless life, and died in our place for our sins on the cross. The innocent took the punishment for the guilty.
Jesus’ body was placed in a tomb and was raised from the dead on the third day. This demonstrated Jesus’ divinity (that He is God) and power over death.
Now it’ possible for you and I to receive God’s grace, mercy, forgiveness and eternal life.
How Should We Respond to the Good News/Gospel?
All that is required is for us to:
- Have Faith in Jesus Christ as God’s only Son who died for your sin and was raised to life on the third day (Romans 3:22)
- Repent of Your Sinful Lifestyle and Live for God (Acts 2:38, 3:19, 17:30, 2 Peter 3:9, Matthew 3:8)
- Confess Jesus as Your Lord (Romans 10:9)
- Be Baptized in the name of the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit for the Forgiveness of Your Sins. (John 3:5-7, Acts 2:38, 1 Peter 3:18-21, Mark 16:16) (Water Immersion)
Once you do this you will:
- Be Cleansed and Forgiven of All Your Sins.
- Be Adopted into God’s Family.
- Receive the Gift and Guaranteed Deposit of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38, 2 Corinthians 1:22, 5:5, Ephesians 1:14, 4:30)
- Enter into Jesus Christ’s Kingdom
- and Become a new branch on His vine.
We are Meant to Serve and Worship God as a Family
Join a group of fellow Believers or Disciples of Jesus (Church). Read and study God’s Word (The Holy Bible) daily and share God’s Good News/Gospel with others by following Jesus’ command to: “…go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19)
Then strive to love Jesus by obeying Him and His Word until you see His face. (John 15:10)